Audit of the reforestation policies in Ivory Coast and the establishment of a reforestation database for the protected forest sector
Diagnosis of reforestation management
Establishment of a cartographic database
The general objective of the reforestation policy audit is to carry out a diagnosis of the reforestation process in Cote d’Ivoire from 1928 to the present day. This is expected to provide lessons for all future programs and to setup a cartographic database for the protected zones.
Role of the GIS, KIS®, provided by Altereo:
- Provide MINEF with interactive geospatial tools for collection, treatment and analysis
- Provide a dyanamic cartography with official statistics on the geographic distribution of reforestation parcels
- Train designated officers for using the database and properly update information.
This project comprises:
- The analysis of different methods of reforestation and theur impact on the reconstitution of the forest assets
- Addressing identified deficiencies
- Proposing follow-up and reforestation management mechanisms
- Evaluation of the contribution of non-state partners in the reforestation effort (NGOs, Forestry Professionnals, individuals and the general population)
- The analaysis of lands allocated as reforestation parcels that have definitvely been logged
- Recommendations for the success of the reforestation process
- Setting up a GIS for the follow-up of reforestation of the protected areas.